Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sage

I would wake up on the cold mornings
To my moms fingers in my hair.
Three parts, tied up, braided
Now I get up to get prepared
To face the morning, the frost on all the windows.

I sit down in the kitchen.
My mother sits beside
Into my palm she places
Half of a small, grey green leaf.
I break it like she taught me
And she does the same.
Crushed between our fingers
The small does now exclaim
A smell that momma always says will be what heaven smells of
A smell that someone can't describe,
After all it is a part of nature itself-
As each of us is-
And so only comparisons suffice,
A smell of earth and home and hurt and love.

I watch momma smell her damaged leaf
She looks sadly out the window.
I know she often feels quite hurt
and the sage helps her know so.
The smell helps her remember
Not everything is good or bad
Some you just must remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment